On a technical level a roof loft or roof raise, is the process by which the existing roof is lifted off, and new, usually larger and higher roof is lifted back on. The old roof trusses (the wooden triangular shaped frames), are usually replaced with ‘attic trusses’. These are stronger in construction and do not have internal cross beams, leaving it ready for creating a stunning living space within.
A roof lift does all of the following:
- Fastest and cheapest way to create a larger roof space.
- Safe removal of internal cross beam, opening up the space.
- Increased internal head height, not just at the centre point of the roof.
- Significantly more usable floor space.
- Dramatical strengthens the roof structure, making it usable as a living space.
- The entire roof is re-felted and tiled, meaning old/cracked tiles are replaced.
- Dependant upon final construction the new roof can still have storage space to the side and a small loft at the peak of the roof.